Monday, April 28, 2008

God-given opportunities


So, when I came to Seminary, I had a plan! I wasn't going to work for a church, I was going to make money working for Starbucks. Great plan, except in Aug. of '07, they weren't hiring anyone. Plan B, work with something church related yet not in the church. Got a job as the Episcopal Office Intern for Bishop Warner Brown and the Rocky Mountain Conference. I enjoy it, learned alot about the Global United Methodist Church.

At Iliff we have to do a Basic Field Education for 10 weeks. I wanted to do a Police Chaplaincy, ride around in a cop car, sounded fun! Didn't work out. Tried the Fire Department, no as well. Needed something else to fulfill this requirement. A Pastor, Carolyn from Christ Church, came to my boss at the Episcopal Office and said she was looking for an Intern. She wanted to do a 10 week, "trial" period before it started. At the least I thought this would be my BFE. Well, as it turns out, I really missed church work. Now, I'm the Intern at both places!!

What I planned to do was not what God created me to do. I was going to make money to pay for Seminary at Starbucks and here I am back in the church. But, I am doing what I really want to do. Deep-down I'm doing what I know God wants me to do, preach. I was mad when certain opportunities closed, why had God led me here if the doors were not going to be opened to me. The answer: wrong door. I had to open the right door, the door that led me to fulfill my hunger and God's desire.


No comments: