Monday, April 28, 2008

Mentors

A mentor helps you to perceive your own weaknesses and confront them with courage. The bond between mentor and protégé enables us to stay true to our chosen path until the very end. - Jewish Proverb

I've had a blessed life to have many mentors who have guided me and helped to reach my potential. Each has taught me something about myself and been an example of who I want to be in ministry and my life.

There was Linda and Anne. They were a pair. Opposites and yet they worked very well together at CHUM. Linda taught me the importance of managing the church and how it is a daily business. That the relationship is more important than any issue within, and to discern the mountain I want to die on. Anne taught me the importance of pastoral care and helping people journey through life. And, working together as a church staff and treating all staff as important and vital to the success of the team. Treating people as worthy of your time, especially support staff.



While most of these mentors have been about ministry and church, I've had two mentors who strengthened my faith and challenged me to live in Christ, daily. Steve and Bart, with a little Darham thrown in too. We used to meet once a week, for theological debates. And while sometimes, I didn't agree with them, we loved each throughout the process.


Charlie and George. Two deceased pastors. Charlie taught me that church HAS to be a place of fun and laughter. Charlie was the first to "lighten my eyes" to my call to ministry. George taught me church HAS to be a place of love and acceptance for all. Both were preachers I want to be, storytellers of the old generation.


Now, Carolyn. She is the pastor at Christ Church, http://www.christchurchcolorado.org/. I hope to learn from her: self-care skills, pastoral care for those who are wearing the rubber of the road (bar ministry), and continue the preaching evolution.

I've led a blessed life of mentors. May God bless you with people who inspire, challenge, and encourage your life.

No comments: