Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Bucket List

Amy (the wife) and I went to see The Bucket List. I am always watching what critics are saying about movies and have come to the conclusion they don't usually like the movies I like. But, Bucket List was over the top on it's appeal for critics to bash. It seemed no critic liked this movie. So, what does this say? Are critics really in tune with society? Are the critics reviewing for artistic taste? If this is the case, than Bucket List is a bad movie. But, I sense those that saw it weren't too interested in the end-all artistic movie.

I sense that people made a statement with their attendance. We want more movies that explore real issues within our world. I'm tired of love stories sharing tragedy and deep romance upon 2 seconds of connectivity (Atonement). Movies that explore real life issues are what I like...the messiness and reality of life. Everyone can connect with those struggling with cancer. It's a reality everyone has experienced.

Even more, everyone connects with a movie about death. Everyone faces death, in family, tragically and ultimately very personally. How do we process our reactions? How do we discuss God? How do we do the things we need to before we leave?

I love when Morgan Freeman asks if you would want to know when you were going to die. It's the age old religious question Are you ready? Right now? Tomorrow at 10? Next Year? 25 Years? 80 years? Right now...I don't want to die. Am I ready? Yes. If tomorrow I meet God, there's not much I can do to stop it from happening. I won't fight what I can't control. But embrace the divine. But, not now. I have too much to accomplish, too much to experience, to much to see. Right God?

In the Bucket List, they try to deny death by experiencing everything there is. I'm ok with that. Do it now and when you get the news. Live life to the fullest but remember it does have to end. What's on your Bucket List? Is it things majestic? Or things material? Is it things eternal? Or things self-gratifying? Who didn't love the ending? The assistant taking him up the mountain...and you thought it was Morgan Freeman, didn't you?

Death is scary. I worry about what it will be like. When that time comes...will it be dark? Will Christ meet me? Will is hurt? Is this the moment? So, where do we find hope in death? Even though we may believe Christ will be 'on the other side' it's still scary. One relies on his faith and the sacrifices made on earth the other relies on the inevitable.
What do you rely?
What do I rely on? Laughter, God, joy, hope, and good movies are all included in my Bucket List.

No comments: