Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Messiness in the Bible and Life.

My first quarter at Iliff…

My Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) professor said this, "Life is messy, Hebrew Bible is messy." Wow! After reading 80% of it, I agree. While there are some aspects of Hebrew Bible that I don't understand (rape, genocide, deceit, scandal upon scandal, murder, the list goes on and on) I realize that while this is an example of the demise of man, the way our feeble souls can damage others and the divine. I also recognize the authority in the Bible, power of God, and the awesome moments where man's ability to overcome the negative turns of life.

Sometimes my life is a mess. I've dug holes I don't know how to get out of, no ladder is big enough. I try to work hard to be good, to do the 'right' thing. I try so hard I become more focused on being good that connecting with God. Why can I not just let go of the world and let it be, let the divine move in the midst?

There is no formula for the Bible, no test. It is a relationship. It is not about perfection or being good. It's about being messy and starting over again. Life is messy. The Bible is messy. Both are messy because it involves people, relationships. But out of the messiness come hope. Hope for a new tomorrow. Hope for second chances. Hope that the human race will finally get it right. Time after time the people fail but there's always tomorrow. That second chance to get it right.

I think God is a mess. Tried so many ways to get the attention of man. The Old Testament is full of God trying to get us to be in relationship with the divine. But, we can't get it and God gets messy in the process. We are like God, messy in the image of the creator. Are you messy like God? Are you ok being messy?

    "Does God like you?" I asked a five-year old little girl. She stifled a grin.

"Yep," she said easily, confidently, certainly.

"How do you know?"

"Because of the way he talks to me. He's just like me. I recognize it in his voice."

Robert Bensen


 


 


 

No comments: