Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Making a difference...

What would you be willing to do? To make a diffierence in this world. To change lives. To make an impact. What would you do? Where would you go? What would you give up?

Our Fellowship Hall is FULL of bikes. I mean bicycles. A group of thirty young people are biking from Virginia Beach, VA to Portland, OR. That's 3000 miles! On a bike. Talk about a sore ass. Anyways, their purpose is to stop in every major city and spend one full day working on a Habitat For Humanity build. 30 young adults giving up 3 months to bike across the country and help others. They've given up support systems, friends, pay, comfort, cleanliness, and air conditioning to help others. What would you give up? http://bikeandbuild.org/cms/

My friend Darham spent the early part of June coaching 7 hish school students running from Wichita, KS to Washington D.C. 1300 miles. Running! They did it to bring awareness for the genocide in Darfur. They gave up 3 weeks of summer vacation, hanging out with friends to face sore feet, hot days, and long highways of asphalt. They did this to help others, to make people remember that others are dying.

What would you be willing to give up to help others? I walked into the office yesterday and was just going to get some paper and go back to my papers. I had lots to do. While I was getting paper a young woman came into the office and asked if the PAstor was available. I made eye contact with the secretary saying, NO, don't even think about it. I wanted to turn her away. But, that didn't happen. I ended up talking with this woman for an hour and a half. I really had other things to do but I couldn't turn away God's own when her eyes filled with tears. We talked about a loving God versus a vengeful God. I'm glad I gave my time because God is in every sit down and chat, every person, and every act. She was seeking love in the church and I was able to give this to her. Thank you to the secretary who handed her to me.

what are you willing to give up? Can you spare an hour? Can you spare your time? Can you give of your heart? We have to be willing to be changed, hurt, and vulnerable to make a difference. Are you willing to be hurt? Are you willing to be changed? Are you willing to give to make a difference in your world?

No comments: